Saturday, June 27, 2009

Another sweaty day

I got halfway to Veteren's Park and felt like something was missing. Shuffle? yes, Gatorade? yes, Visor? yes, Heart Rate monitor? yes, t-shirt to change into? yes, Garmin? no. Oh rats, no garmin and it's too late to turn back. Don't you hate to run without your Garmin? Especially today, since we were doing hills, I wanted to monitor my heart rate. Well, at least I could take off my monitor and not worry about chaffing.

The first 4 miles were really hilly and I took it slow and easy. I felt pretty heavy with the heat and I'm so glad that we are starting at 6 next week instead of 7. When I was first training for marathons a couple of years ago, I hated that early start time and we started at 5:30 but now I really like it. It keeps the whole day from being used up with the run and you get a head start on the heat. Rachel joined us again and it was great to have her cheery spirit to lead us on. It was great to see Greg as well, he had been injured while training for St. Louis and is getting back into training. And it was great to meet Jason's mom, I think this multi-generational running is way cool.

I didn't go to hill training Monday night because I needed to be somewhere else but I learned that people turned out in spite of the heat and Dave brought icy cold sponges so people could be refreshed after running the hills. So, I'm pretty sure I'll be there on Monday and it is supposed to be a litle bit cooler.

I'm reading an excellent book on running, actually like a runner's bible, The Lore of Running by Dr. Timothy Noakes. It covers physiology, training for all distances, what to do for all types of injuries, it will be a good reference book. I also have a couple of books on reserve at the library,

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner (thank you Rachel for the recommendation). Another one that I've already read that was fascinating about the history of women's running was http://www.amazon.com/Marathon-Woman-Running-Revolutionize-Womens/dp/0786719672/?tag=completerunni-20 I will forever be grateful to Katherine Switzer for clearing the way for women's running.
Anybody else out there have some favs you care to recommend?

1 comment:

  1. "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" was required reading for my English Comp class in college. It was a good story.

    I have Tim Noakes' book and have read it, but it is not my favorite. A couple I have read recently and recommend are "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon" by Brad Hudson and "Daniel's Running Formula" by Jack Daniels. I could loan those to you, if you are interested.

    I got the idea of hill sprints from Brad Hudson. Jack Daniels has a lot to say about different types of training - similar to the stuff I sent you from Greg McMillan.

    I felt like my run went pretty well this morning. We ran faster than I need to, but I was trying to keep up with Hayley most of the way. Averaged 8:14 pace for the first 7 miles, and then added some more at a slower pace. It was pretty hot out there.

    I, too, was glad to see Rachel. It's been such a long time. Brian started to introduce her to me, and I said, "wait, the name is coming to me...Darcy seems to stick out." Well, that wasn't her name. It is her 3 year old daughter's name. Rachel was impressed that I remembered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!