Saturday, November 7, 2009

Thank You Runners World Tulsa

Today was our Mock Marathon to prepare us for Route 66 on Nov. 22. Our "mock" is 22 miles. Since I had done the KC Marathon three weeks ago and ran the Tulsa Run 15K last Saturday, I decided to take this long run easy. I thought I would try for a 10:30 pace, it always sounds so doable until you get past 15 miles and then all I want to do is walk! I ran with Teresa for the first 14 or so miles and we had a great time chatting. Our friend Cindy was resting her injuries and we enjoyed seeing her at the waterstops. Jason, Lisa and Wade were taking some time off as well and they were great cheerleaders as well at the waterstops. After Teresa was gone, I really struggled to keep running. I saw Joe and Cindy at the waterstop at 41st and they were like a breath of fresh air. Joe told me about a good anti-chaffing item called SportShield. I put some on my back where my waist usually gets raw. He said it currently isn't available locally but it looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJX1UY.
Then I headed back south on Riverside and ran for about 1/4 mile and decided to walk, what a wimp! I walked a lot until I made the turn around at 56th St and then I decided that I would run 4 lightposts and walk 4 lightposts. I don't know why I choose 4 lightposts, nothing scientific about it, just sounded good. I did this until I got to the 41st St water stop again and saw Greg. We headed back towards 21st St and I told him that I was alternating running and walking with every 4th lightpole. He talked me into extending it to 5 lightpoles, which we did until 31st St. Then I said, that was it, I was walking and we walked and talked for about a half mile. Then he talked me into running some more, what a pushover I am! Finally we made it to Veteren's Park, I was so glad that run was over! Now, taper time until Nov. 22!

3 comments:

  1. Today's run was one of my worst. I think I got pretty dehydrated. I did quite a bit of walking from 41st too. After today's run, I am seriously reconsidering my time goal. I even had thoughts of training just for shorter races - say 200 meters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny! Actually 1/2 marathon is my fav. Long enough to be a little challenge, short enough to focus on seeing noticable drops in per mile time. I was going to do R66 1/2 and in a moment of insanity, decided to do the full. I would like to better my 4:49 time but I would be satisfied with a 4:48 for R66. i am sure that after you rest up you'll be ready, just make sure you rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be able to find Sport Shield at Fleet Feet. Stay away from Body Glide (doesn't work well)
    I use Sport Shield and it lasts as long as I need it.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!