Sunday, February 27, 2011

Post Oak Challenge

Last year some of my friends ran the Post Oak Marathon Trail run and the 10K, I volunteered and thought that I would like to do a shorter version of it. I love the Post Oak Lodge, I've been out there several times for conferences and women's retreats, the area is very peaceful, close to the city, yet out in the country.
So this year, the organizers switched the events up some and made all the marathon-type events on the road and then had a separate day of trail events. So, I was in and decided to do the 10K trail run and the 1/4 marathon. I have a marathon to run the following weekend so I wanted to keep the distances short. There was some rain on Thursday so the trail got nice and and soggy. This was my first trail run and I am not sure of foot so I took it slow and easy. I ran with my good friend Teresa and she was good company for me throughout the run. It wasn't very hard, I picked my way through the rocks and slippery mud and marveled at some of the runners who flew through the course. The trails were well marked and we had one really good climb to Holmes Peak. When the sky is clear, you can lookout from here and see downtown Tulsa but on this day, there was a lot of fog, so all we saw was...more fog! All went well and we managed to finish injury free.
On Sunday, I ran the 1/4 marathon. The organizers promised that the marathons would be hilly and they delivered. It was the hilliest and hardest course I have ever run! I'm really glad I did both events and the medals are very unique and beautiful.
Here's a shout out to three of my buddies who ran the full marathon in great style, finishing just over 5 hrs and to Carmie Anderson, who won her age group!
http://www.postoakrun.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!