Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Still chilly

Our Tuesday morning route we run is a somewhat hilly 4.72 mile journey through our neighborhood. In the first block we start an incline immediately. What a way to start a morning! Today I ate a banana before I started, first and last time to do that, felt heavy the whole time, it just stuck there somewhere in my chest and I never felt the sugar from it. My neighbor overslept but the other one of our threesome was there and we charged on. Usually we walk the crest of the steeper inclines but we didn't do that this time until the last one before our last 1/2 mile home. We averaged a 9:32 pace but I should have pushed for a 9 min. Thursdays route is flatter and I'll push harder.

1 comment:

  1. Paula, for a 4:15 qualifying time, your marathon pace is 9:44 per mile. Your easy runs should be done at around a 10:30 pace plus or minus about 15 seconds. Your pace for Tuesday's run was close to the range I would expect for a longer tempo run (McMillan calls this a steady state run and puts the pace at 9:14 to to 9:30). A pace of 9:00 would be good for a normal tempo run (of perhaps 2-3 miles), but for a longer run it is faster than you need for your goals.

    Visit this site to get some insight on what paces you should run: www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!